Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Bern baby Bern!!

I'm skipping my entry for day 7 because I had some unfortunate personal news that caused me to stay at the hotel that day. 
However, day 8 was INCREDIBLE! We woke up early as usual and headed to the office. The Bernie group had been a little bummed out that we weren't able to attend a Bernie rally even though all the other kids had been able to see their candidates. 
In the car on the way there, one of my friends discovered there was going to be a rally super close to our office at 1 pm and that the doors opened at 11 (it was about 10 am when we found this out). We asked our professor and field organizer for permission and they gave it to us-- FINALLY we would see Bernie!! 

The rally was at a nice theater in downtown Manchester (and it had seats which was arguably my favorite part). We were one of the first groups of people in line so when the doors opened at 11 we bolted to the front of the venue and got seats in the front row.... I was freaking out we were SO close! 
We had to wait 2 hours for him to come out but he had a great playlist going during the wait. Also, he only had 1 person introduce him which was nice because at other rallies I've been to candidates have had several people introduce them. He jumped right into his speech and the crowd was going nuts. I couldn't believe how close I was to him! 
He spoke about everything from climate change to corrupt politics to college debt. Since I was so close I was able to see his notes for his speech which were handwritten on looseleaf paper (which seems like a small detail but I felt like it added to his overall persona of being a man of the people). 
His speech was incredible- I was clapping so much my hands started to hurt. I'm so glad we were able to get to see him in a small rally setting and especially to see him so close!! 

After leaving we grabbed some quick lunch and headed to the office. We made phone calls for the rest of the day (it ended up being a shorter day due to a huge snow storm that came in that afternoon). 

It was a great experience to have and I'm sooo thankful we got to do it. It was also fun to see all that snow! (It was also freezing so I'm glad I didn't have to be outside too much). 


No comments:

Post a Comment